Ondansetron – Ondansetron is a drug that helps to avoid nausea and vomiting from cancer chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and surgery. Ondansetron belongs to a group of drugs known as serotonin 5-HT3 receptor antagonists. It works by preventing serotonin, a natural chemical that can trigger nausea and vomiting, from acting. We will offer you all of the pertinent information about Ondansetron in this Pharmaadda post, as well as a list of some of the most prominent Ondansetron manufacturing businesses in India from which to choose. To make your decision easier, read the details.
Table of Contents
What is Ondansetron and how it works?
- Antiemetic ondansetron is a drug used to treat nausea and vomiting.
- Ondansetron is a serotonin 5-HT3 receptor antagonist that is used in cancer chemotherapy and postoperatively to avoid nausea and vomiting.
- Ondansetron has a lengthy history of use and efficacy, having been developed by GlaxoSmithKline in the 1980s and approved by the US FDA in January 1991.
- It is commonly formulated as oral tablets, orally disintegrating tablets (ODT), and injections, and is also available as a generic product.
- Recent developments in the formulation and use of ondansetron include the development of orally soluble films that are both discreet and less of a burden than having patients attempt to swallow pills during emesis.
- Within half an hour to two hours, ondansetron begins to function. It quickly dissolves in the bloodstream and begins to have an effect.
Use of Ondansetron
- Ondansetron prevents the body from producing substances that cause nausea and vomiting.
- Ondansetron is a medication that is used to reduce nausea and vomiting caused by surgery, cancer chemotherapy, or radiation therapy.
- The medicine can be used for a variety of other things that aren’t covered in this medication guide.
Other Associated Conditions includes:
- Chemotherapy-Induced Nausea and Vomiting (CINV)
- Cholestatic pruritus
- Post Operative Nausea and Vomiting (PONV)
- Uremic Pruritus
- Radiation therapy induced nausea and vomiting
- Severe Hyperemesis gravidarum
Important Information you must know before using Ondansetron
- If you are allergic to ondansetron or other anti-nausea serotonin blockers (e.g., granisetron), or if you have any other allergies, notify your doctor or pharmacist before taking it.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist about any medical conditions you’ve had before taking this drug, especially if you’ve had an irregular heartbeat, liver illness, or stomach/intestinal issues (e.g., recent abdominal surgery, ileus, swelling).
- Ondansetron has been linked to a heart rhythm disorder (QT prolongation). QT prolongation can cause dangerous (occasionally fatal) fast/irregular heartbeat and other symptoms (including severe dizziness and fainting) that require immediate medical intervention.
- This medication may cause dizziness or drowsiness. You may become dizzy or sleepy if you consume alcohol or marijuana (cannabis).
- Do not drive, operate machinery, or engage in any other activity that requires attentiveness until you are sure you can do so safely. Alcoholic beverages should be avoided. If you use marijuana, talk to your doctor (cannabis).
- Get up gently while rising from a sitting or laying posture to avoid dizziness and lightheadedness.
- Aspartame may be present in this drug. Consult your doctor or pharmacist about the safe use of this drug if you have phenylketonuria (PKU) or any other condition that requires you to limit your consumption of aspartame (or phenylalanine).
- This drug should only be taken during pregnancy if absolutely necessary. It has the potential to harm an unborn child. Consult your doctor about the dangers and advantages.
- It is unknown if this medication goes into breast milk. Before you start breastfeeding, talk to your doctor.
How should Ondansetron be used?
- Ondansetron is available in the form of a tablet, a quickly disintegrating (dissolving) tablet, a film, and an oral solution (liquid).
- Ondansetron is commonly administered 30 minutes prior to the commencement of chemotherapy, 1 to 2 hours prior to the start of radiation therapy, or 1 hour prior to surgery. During chemotherapy or radiation therapy, additional doses are occasionally given one to three times a day, as well as for 1 to 2 days after treatment ends.
- Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and if there is anything you don’t understand, ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain it to you. Ondansetron should be taken exactly as prescribed. Do not take more or less of it, or take it more frequently than your doctor has suggested.
- The film should not be chewed.
- Remove the tablet from the package right before you take your dose if you’re taking a quickly disintegrating tablet. Do not attempt to push the tablet through the blister’s foil lining to open the packaging. Instead, peel back the foil backing with dry fingertips.
- Remove the tablet gently and lay it on the top of your tongue right away. In a few seconds, the tablet will dissolve and can be ingested with saliva.
- blurred vision or vision loss
- swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, throat, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- chest pain
- shortness of breath
- dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting
- fast, slow or irregular heartbeat
- hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist)
- excessive sweating
- nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- loss of coordination
- stiff or twitching muscles
- coma (loss of consciousness)
Missed and Overdose Information
- As soon as you recall, take the missed dose. If your next scheduled dose is approaching, skip the missing dose. To make up for a missed dose, do not take more medicine.
- Seek medical help right away. Sudden loss of vision, severe constipation, light-headedness, or fainting are all possible overdose symptoms.
List of Top Ondansetron manufacturers in India
The leading Ondansetron manufacturing companies in India are listed here, along with their contact information.
1. Yashica Pharmaceutical:
Mr. Sanjay Totre’s concept led to the establishment of Yashica Pharmaceutical in 2007. They are one of India’s largest privately held pharmaceutical firms. The company is one of the most reputable manufacturers and exporters of pharmaceutical products in the world. They have a global presence in over 20 countries. Their goal is to become India’s premier pharmaceutical company and a worldwide player by providing high-quality products and timely services.
To prevent, diagnose, and cure diseases, we will discover, manufacture, and successfully market pharmaceutical goods.
Their high-quality product line is a testament to their customers’ delight. They are glad to mention that we have consistently provided excellent quality pharmaceutical raw materials and allied products to their clients. As a result, They have a loyal network of domestic as well as international clients and get repetitive orders. They are offering Ondansetron Tablets that includes:
- Brand: Yashica
- Dose (Milligram): 4 mg
- Pack Contains: 30 Tablets
Contact them – Off. No. 11-12, Shubham Apartment, Syndicate Syndicate Thane – 421301, Maharashtra, India
Pharmaadda is a significant Indian company that can provide you with the top Ondansetron Manufacturers. All of these businesses are WHO: GMP accredited and provide Third Party Contract Manufacturing services. Please contact us if you require any other information.